An Overview of Physical Therapy
Physical therapy may be a good pain management treatment if you suffer from chronic pain or another health condition, such as a sports injury, work-related injury or degenerative condition. Physical therapy offers many benefits to patients, including making them stronger, healthier and more mobile. The pain physicians at Pain Recovery Center of Tyler, located in Tyler, Texas, offer physical therapy and rehabilitation services to patients suffering from chronic pain and other health conditions.
How can Physical Therapy Help with Chronic Pain?
Physical therapy is a common pain management treatment used to treat chronic pain. It is a safe and effective way to return patients to their prior level of physical ability and alleviate chronic pain if performed correctly.
In a physical therapy session, a patient may perform a number of different items, including:
- Walking or riding a stationary bike to warm up the body
- Use physical therapy machines or other equipment to strengthen the muscles and surrounding soft tissues in the affected area
- Stretch specific areas of the body
- Perform pain relief exercises as recommended by a pain physician and/or physical therapist
Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), massage and other pain management treatments may also be used in certain patients.
How can Physical Therapy Help with Other Health Conditions?
Physical therapy is widely used for a number of health conditions, such as:
- Prevention and/or recovery from a sports injury
- Recovery after an automobile accident, work-related injury or other related trauma
- Improve overall mobility by stretching and strengthening areas of the body that are hindering walking, standing or moving
- Improve balance and coordination in order to reduce falls
- Manage age-related and degenerative conditions such as osteoarthritis and osteoporosis by keeping the body mobile
- Avoid surgery for a neck, back, knee or other orthopedic condition by easing pain and discomfort
When performed correctly, physical therapy can help restore, maintain and promote a patient’s overall health, as well as ease chronic pain in many patients.
For more information on physical therapy benefits for chronic pain and other health conditions, contact the Tyler, Texas pain physicians at Pain Recovery Center of Tyler.